The Design and Building Practitioners Act 2020
New regulations and changes to support the Design and Building Practitioners Act 2020 came into effect on July 1st, 2021.
The Regulation was developed to support the Design and Building Practitioners Act 2020 which was passed by Parliament on 3 June 2020 and includes the following key reforms:
- a registration scheme for design practitioners, principal design practitioners, building practitioners and professional engineers;
- the minimum requirements that these practitioners must meet in order to be registered;
- new obligations for lodging regulated designs and compliance declarations;
- Codes of Practice for design practitioners, principal design practitioners, building practitioners and professional engineers that set minimum professional and ethical standards;
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements that apply to these practitioners to maintain registration; and
- prescribed penalty notice offences.
In response to the passing of the Act in Parliament in June 2020, the ACSE Board have participated in consultations, presentations, meetings and forums with ACSE members, government agencies and other construction industry bodies. A summary of this work follows.
- ACSE Board issues an update about the new Act with detailed assistance for working through the registration process.
- Members Forum held to present the regulations to members, answer questions and discuss concerns.
- Pub Seminar with Simon Gray and Charles Thornley. Exploring the insurance implications of the new D&BP Act regulations
- ACSE feedback resulting from the Building and Construction Policy Team consultations submitted to the Department of Customer Service.
September to December 2020
- Roundtable Reviews of Concept Papers: The Building and Construction Policy Team, Better Regulation Division at the Department of Customer Service ran a series of roundtable consultations with select industry bodies. The ACSE sub-committee were invited to attend session 5 in September 2020 and session 6 in December 2020.
- ACSE sub-committee established to lead D&BP Act consultation
- Pub Seminar with David Chandler and Carrie Metcalfe. New rules for the construction industry in NSW: with an introduction by the NSW Building Commissioner